Taking time to choose the best surgeon is a critical step in achieving a good result for your LASIK vision correction procedure. This guide is designed to help you find an excellent LASIK surgeon to help you meet your goals and maintain healthy eyes.
Finding the Best LASIK Surgeon
Factors to consider when you check qualifications, skills and reputation of a refractive surgeon include:
- Licensing – You can validate a surgeon’s credentials through the National Practitioner Data Bank as well as your State licensing boards.
- Board certification – Your eye surgeon should have certified beyond a basic license to practice medicine. This means that an organization recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties has certified the surgeon to practice his or her specialty. The American Board of Ophthalmology is one such entity that requires board-certified physicians to complete specific training and continuing education related to Ophthalmology.
- American College of Surgeons (ACS) membership – This organization upholds ethical standards of conduct for all members, who must be board certified. Surgeons who use the designation “FACS” after their names are Fellows of the American College of Surgeons.
- Referrals – Ask your doctor for a LASIK surgeon in your area with the best reputation in the profession.
- Consultation – It is important to meet with your surgeon in person, to ensure you are comfortable with both the surgeon and the practice. The surgeon you select should demonstrate their knowledge, experience and professionalism, as well as make you feel at ease. Assess the practice staff as well. Are they polite and friendly? Does the practice seem to operate efficiently? Your impression of the supportive staff can be an important indicator of how comfortable you will be as you go through the entire surgical process and ongoing eye care.
What to Ask
During your consultation, you should ask many relevant questions as possible, including:
- How many LASIK procedures have you performed?
- Where do you perform the procedure?
- What are your outcome statistics? How do these compare with national averages?
- If a complication does occur, what is your policy regarding follow-up?
- How do you handle enhancement procedures, should one be necessary?
- Does your billing department itemize and explain all costs associated with a LASIK procedure?
It is critical to the outcome of your procedure to be confident that you have chosen the right surgeon. If you are not happy with answers to your questions, find another surgeon.
Competency and Trust
You should also consider the surgeon’s versatility and competency in other eye care and surgical procedures. Choose a surgeon who is comfortable and experienced with other vision correction options, such as Refractive Lens Exchange procedures, as well as Comprehensive Eye Care and treatment of Common Eye Diseases. “As with any relationship you have with someone in the medical profession, your relationship with your LASIK surgeon should be one of trust,” says Dr. Richard Adler, MD, Board Certified Ophthalmologist and vision correction specialist. “You should trust your surgeon and feel that they’re personally interested in you.”
Learn more about Vision Correction options
- LASIK surgery at Belcara Health
- LASIK FAQ’s
- Refractive Lens Exchange at Belcara Health
- Prescription Eyewear and Contact lenses
Financing is available. Click here to learn about your options.
At Belcara Health, we have Financing Specialists available to help you secure financing and help making budgeting and paying for your vision correction procedure simple and stress-free. We’re happy to help you make plans for affordable monthly payments. Learn more about your financing opportunities.
Are you seeing your best? Schedule a personalized consultation with our Board Certified Ophthalmologist, Dr. Richard Adler, by calling 410.296.0414 or by CLICKING HERE.